When lawmakers return to Frankfort next week, they will work a few days and then go into recess (yes, sometimes it does mimic elementary school). Following this timeout they return in February until they finish for good in mid-March.
For KCADP supporters this is an excellent opportunity to raise our collective voice once again and urge repeal of the death penalty. So below are suggestions for you to help you make contact with lawmakers and gently, but firmly, press for their support for bills that will soon be introduced to end the death penalty. As soon as we have bill numbers we will follow up with another post.
- Pay your State Senator and State Representative a visit. There is nothing like personal contact.
- Visit where they live in the district. You can find their contact information on the Kentucky legislature web site. Supporters living in the districts where there are newly elected lawmakers have a unique opportunity to help these folks learn about our broken death penalty system. Click here to download the concise two-page issue brief pictured above that you can give or send them.
- Or come to Frankfort for a visit. Several have already signed up to visit Frankfort on one or more of the following Wednesdays: February 8, 15, and 22; and March 1 and 8. We will be there and can help facilitate meetings with lawmakers. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as you know what date you plan to visit. If you cannot make a Wednesday, pick any Tuesday(s) or Thursday(s) and let us know the date and time you plan to arrive.
- Make an effective phone call. There is a toll free phone number – 1.800.327.7181 – answered by real people who write down your messages and deliver them directly to your legislators. Legislators actually read these and may even call you back. The message can be as simple as “please support repeal of the death penalty” or as detailed as you would like to make it, perhaps giving your primary reason for your personal opposition to killing prisoners. That number is available even when they are not in session. So messages left in January will be delivered to lawmakers when they return in February. That’s 1.800.372.7181.
- Take advantage of our Internet presence. If you have not done so please sign up for our legislative alert and eNews service by clicking here. We also highly recommend you LIKE and visit our Facebook page because there you will find crucial action alerts before they get posted elsewhere. Sharing them on your own Facebook page and tweeting them out will expand the number of people who can urge legislators that it is time to end the death penalty in Kentucky.