Just as diverse as the backgrounds of the Kentucky Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty’s members are the reasons why they have united to eliminate executions in Kentucky.
- It’s costly–the death penalty is more expensive than life in prison
- It’s out of step with modern thinking–polls have repeatedly shown that Kentuckians prefer prison over execution for murderers
- It’s risky–innocent people have been executed
- It’s unfair, broken, and arbitrary–the death penalty is not applied equally
- It’s unnecessary–Life Without Parole is available and a suitable, severe punishment for capital murderers. And insures no innocent person is executed.
- Victims’ families deserve more care and compassion–the death penalty can extend and intensify their suffering